Unable to see an Australian.com.au domain

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Sep 25 13:26:54 UTC 2001

COLIN COMOLLATTI <c.comollatti at cqu.edu.au> wrote:

>I would like to know if my DNS set-up would stop me from seeing a
>domain or is the site I am trying to see.
>
>What should I be looking for? Any good websites?
>
>I have the book "DNS and BIND" ver3 by Albitz & Liu.
>
>Problem:
>I have attempted to send an email to a australiandomain.com.au domain.
>I can reach this domain from outside my network. But I can not see it
>from within my network. I am unable to send an email to the company
>hosting the domain. I am able to see their website.
>
>I have no trouble with any other domains, Australian or World wide.

The problem MAY be with the site to which you are trying to send e-mail.
I have a problem sending e-mail to

     aone.net.au

But I used the doc-2.1.4 utility to discover that all four of the
nameservers for that domain are not responding authoritatively.  So I
sent e-mail to the net.au DNS administrator.  I wish
I could use the same utility to see if your problem is the same, but
you have not given us the information we need to diagnose your problem.

> To keep companies happies I have not used their correct domain names.
> As I said at the it my be my servers.

I would assume that if a company has a mis-configured DNS then the DNS
administrator(s) for that company would want to know.  I do not think
that "keeping them happy" is consistent with this view.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov