Win2k forgets Nameserver?

Sasso, John IT JSasso at mvphealthcare.com
Mon Sep 24 19:14:58 UTC 2001

Yes, I know, Mike.  I came on board here recently and am flabbergasted by
the DNS setup here.
Since I've been delegated responsibility for DNS, I am in the works of
revamping our DNS
infrastructure.  I don't even like the idea of having a Windoze system as a
primary nameserver.

| >   It has knowledge of our internal namespace.  In
| >the event that name resolution fails on a Win2K desktop,
| other desktops that
| >refer to the same nameserver (Win95, NT, and UNIX desktops)
| are still able
| >to successfully do name resolution.
|
| Are they configured with more than one nameserver?
|
|          Danny

Hmmm, now that I'm looking at the output of ipconfig on my desktop, it shows
the first DNS nameserver as
our internal one, and two others after it that are primary for our external
zone (w/ no knowledge of our internal zone).

But in the event that my Win2k desktop loses DNS resolution, why is it that
other systems that refer to the same internal nameserver are still able to
do name resolution?

--john