More newbie questions

Joe Kattner joe.kattner at adelphia.com
Fri Sep 21 15:01:11 UTC 2001

The data gets stored in named's cache in memory as it runs. BIND manages
this cache based on a number of criteria, and does not require any
intervention. It is already efficient :)

You can do a ndc dumpdb to tell named to dump it's cache to a file, if
you're curious to see what is there. It will put a named_dump.db file, into
BIND's working directory. This is just a snapshot of what is in the cache at
that point in time, and for your use only. BIND will not use this file
itself, so it is safe to delete after you look through it.

If all you want to do is resolve external names, then you do not need any
zones other than root, and that sounds like what you want, and already have.

--Joe