nslookup correct, ping is wrong...why?

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Thu Sep 20 02:58:54 UTC 2001

* Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> [010919 14:06]:
> In article <9oavp2$g9j at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Gaines, Rhonda <Rhonda.Gaines at owens-minor.com> wrote:
> >When I make changes on the DNS server and refresh the named process I
> >get the following behavior from workstations.  Nslookup returns the
> >correct information, but pings still resolve to the old, incorrect, IP
> >address for an undetermined amount of time.  Does anyone know why and
> >what I can do to fix this problem?
>
> The slave servers for your domain aren't picking up your changes, because
> of a problem with the serial numbers.

That, and it looks as though the OP is running windows. If it's Win2k,
which ships with that hideous local resolver cache that seems to ignore
TTLs, she'll also need to run ipconfig /flushdns to get rid of the
locally cached records. Whenever you see the behaviour described above
on a windows machine, the local resolver cache is most certainly to
blame.

http://is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/registry/rtips27.shtml

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_DNS_tro_UsingIpconfigFlushdns.htm

-Pete