nslookup correct, ping is wrong...why?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 19 20:59:03 UTC 2001

In article <9oavp2$g9j at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Gaines, Rhonda <Rhonda.Gaines at owens-minor.com> wrote:
>When I make changes on the DNS server and refresh the named process I
>get the following behavior from workstations.  Nslookup returns the
>correct information, but pings still resolve to the old, incorrect, IP
>address for an undetermined amount of time.  Does anyone know why and
>what I can do to fix this problem?

The slave servers for your domain aren't picking up your changes, because
of a problem with the serial numbers.

On ns1-auth.sprintlink.net, the serial number is 2830932817, but on
omdnsx1.om-inc.com the serial number is 2001091901.  Since slave servers
only transfer a zone when the master's serial number is higher than it was
the last time they transferred it, and 2001091901 is not higher than
2830932817, the slave isn't transferring your zone.

If you're wondering where 2830932817 came from, you probably used to have
the serial number 20010802001.  This 11-digit number overflows the maximum
size of a serial number, so it wrapped around to that random-looking
number.  You presumably noticed that you had too many digits, and simply
removed the extra digit after the date during an update in the past month
or so.  Ever since then, none of your changes has been getting to the slave
server.

To fix this, you need to change your serial number to 683449168, wait for
all the slave servers to pick up this change, then change it back to
2001091902.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA