Slaving root zone?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Sep 5 23:07:55 UTC 2001

At 05:24 PM 9/5/01, Terrence Koeman wrote:

>There is no workaround;
>
>if you put "." in the named.conf, "" is passed to named-xfer.exe,
>if you put "" in the named.conf, "" is passed to named-xfer.exe,
>if you put anything else in the named.conf then antyshing else is passed to
>named-xfer.exe :p
>
>But even if I wanted to run a pre release versin, I can't find it anywhere
>;)

The pre-release versions don't have the fix you need.  I never released a 8.2.5-rc1
binary kit for NT.

>Terrence Koeman wrote:
> >
> > OK, lets make things clear. I'm currently running MS-DNS, which slaves '.'
> > perfectly.
>
>I was thinking Barry was right till you said the OSRC root *8-)
>
>Anyway reread Mark's post not only does it have the patch
>information, it also has the work around. <rhetorical>How on
>earth did this thread get so long?</rhetorical>

I did not see that patch information. The mail server seems to have been backed
up, so some messages are coming in out of normal order.

>According to my mail archive a Mr Paul Vixie said 8.2.5rc1 was
>released 2001-08-10. That is a release candidate. 8.3 is also
>not formally a release version, but still being tested. See
>www.isc.org
>
>So unless your happy using "", or a pre-release version, I don't
>think you'll like BIND, and BIND 9 on NT is fun till 9.2.0rc1 I
>gather..... Or has anyone got 9.1.3 on NT as a slave root?

BIND 8.2.5 should be fine once it gets released.  There is no BIND 9.1.x version
that runs on NT.  The first release is BIND 9.2.0.

         Danny