Wildcard A-record for subdomains

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Oct 30 00:44:10 UTC 2001

In article <9rkrnh$hq2 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Keegan Miller <keegan at millerwebsiteservices.com> wrote:
>Several domains on my server are set up to have wildcard subdomains resolve
>to the same address.  This has been working fine until recently; now it
>seems to work for some domains but not for others, with no obvious
>consistency.  Here is a sample zone file:
>
>prescottwebpage.com. IN SOA naz.northernaz.com. root.naz.northernaz.com. (
>   2001071100
>   3600
>   600
>   86400
>   3600 )
>prescottwebpage.com. IN NS naz.northernaz.com.
>prescottwebpage.com. IN A 63.110.137.6
>* IN A 63.110.137.6
>
>Is there a more reliable way to accomplish this?  I've seen lots of examples
>for wildcard NS records (all saying they should be avoided) but none for
>this.

Is this supposed to be an example of a working domain or a broken domain?
I just tried looking up barmar.prescottwebpage.com and I got that A record,
so it seemed to be working.  Can you give an example of a domain that
doesn't work as you expect?

BTW, it's not relevant to your question, but you need to add an NS record
pointing to naz2.northernaz.com.  What's the point of having a secondary
nameserver if you don't tell the net about it?  It's not sufficient to have
it in the delegation records, you also have to have it in the zone file,
because your authoritative NS records take precedence over the delegation
records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA