home.com didn't resolve for 29+ hrs??

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 28 17:15:50 UTC 2001

baywood wrote:

> Both you and Barry have pointed out the pitfalls of my origional queries
> and neither commented on my
>
> $ dig +trace home.com

This will fail if you have already cached corrupt data - Barry
already said this.

> which appears to do both of the above plus a dig @homeDNS. Another option
> is
>
> $ host -Cv home.com

No idea my host doesn't have a "-C".

> which, unlike dig, will query all the @home DNS's returned by the GTLD
> query. Another interesting thing is that host will do multiple queries
> (different servers) if a response isn't received within 100ms (but -W default
> seems to be seconds??). If dig does multiple queries its not apparent from
> the output.

Again since you don't tell it where to start corrupt data
locally will cause it to give the wrong answer.

> Try a search for 'doc' :-)

I think it has moved around so much over the years it takes some
finding.

> (http://www.go.dlr.de/fresh/unix/src/misc/dns/doc-2.2.3.tar.gz) Thanks
> for the pointer. One of the other things I found while looking for doc was
> DNS Bajaj (http://www.foobar.tm/dns/). DNS Bajaj is an online tool
> that seems to do the same thing as 'doc -p' with the addition of graphics.

I'll take a look.

	Simon