is this a DNS issue? If so, how to fix it?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Sat Oct 20 00:04:44 UTC 2001

In article <9qqcu2$aqn at pub3.rc.vix.com>, No Idea <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
>Now, I've never had any problems before, so something iss odd
>here...  one thing that looks odd is:
>Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 450 Unable to find ns1.3tnt.com ...   now
>3tnt.com (my server's nameserver) has been up & runing w/o
>problems for about 6 months & is still hosting sites just
>fine....

The 3tnt.com domain is delegated to:

    NS1.000DOMAINS.COM   65.201.74.101
    NS2.000DOMAINS.COM   65.201.74.102

I can't get a response from either of them.

tools:~#984% dig ns1.3tnt.com a @ns1.000domains.com +norec

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ns1.3tnt.com a @ns1.000domains.com +norec
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; res_nsend to server ns1.000domains.com  65.201.74.101: Connection timed out
tools:~#985% dig ns1.3tnt.com a @ns2.000domains.com +norec

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ns1.3tnt.com a @ns2.000domains.com +norec
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; res_nsend to server ns2.000domains.com  65.201.74.102: Connection timed out

ns1.000domains.com responds to ping and traceroute but not DNS, while
ns2.000domains.com doesn't respond to anything.

This is likely to be an intermittent problem, because there's a glue record
for ns1.3tnt.com on the GTLD servers.  However, if that glue record expires
from a cache while it still has the NS records cached, further lookups of
the name will try to query the 000domains.com servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA