DNS name

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Oct 4 13:16:44 UTC 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 07:45:59AM -0500, Pons, Eric wrote:
> I am running BIND 8.2.4 for linux and it runs just fine. My only question is: if I do an nslookup from a client machine I get the error "can't find server name for address x.x.x.x (x's = DNS IP). Then it resolves anyway but it says Server: unknown
> How do I provide a name for my DNS box? I looked through the FAQ and found nothing to be helpful. Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks.

'nslookup' is the common tool everyone knows, but for those working on
DNS the diagnostics it produces are somewhat misleading.  You will see
others telling you never to use it.  When trying to diagnose real
problems with DNS, such tools as 'dig' are better.

In this case, you do not have your reverse DNS for the server's IP
address working.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B