how to find out who's propagating wrong IP for my server?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Nov 30 19:43:56 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 08:51:28AM -0800, Mark Lin wrote:
> We recently switch ISP, so we change our DNS entry too.  Here's the
> funny thing,
> my company website is www.macysnyc.com and when you ping that name, it
> will return 209.10.179.184 which is also my primary domain name
> server(baldur.macysnyc.com, btw that's the correct IP).  But if I just
> ping baldur.macysnyc.com, it will "SOMETIMES" return me with
> 64.63.59.41 which is IP I used to have from the old ISP.  So my
> question is, how can I find out for sure who is still propagating old
> IP address of my server for me?  I have a feeling it could be my old
> ISP, but I would like to have some proof before I call them up.  You
> know ISP, they will tell me they have checked everything, when in fact
> they havn't lift a finger yet.  So I want some hard evidence.

I asked A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.  It tells me:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
baldur.macysnyc.com.    2D IN A         64.63.59.41

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
macysnyc.com.           2D IN NS        BALDUR.MACYSADV.com.
macysnyc.com.           2D IN NS        DNS2.MACYSADV.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
BALDUR.MACYSADV.com.    2D IN A         209.10.179.184
DNS2.MACYSADV.com.      2D IN A         209.10.179.188

so my original answer was incorrect.