Dissecting the source

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 30 03:59:11 UTC 2001

> I may have subscribed to the wrong list.  If I have, please feel free to
set
> me on fire.
>
> I have been given a project for an internal application.  We are wanting
> use BIND to do some interesting things with the hosts that are only within
> our network.  (It is not physically connected to the outside Net.)  We
want
> to use some special characters in our host names.  I have downloaded the
> source and I have looked through a lot of the header files and I thought
> maybe someone here could point me in the general direction of which part
of
> the source would expose the host name checking.  Basically, I want to
allow
> for special characters not normally allowed in DNS like chevrons and the
> like.

Can't you just turn off name checking using the check-names
substatement?  For example,

options {
    check-names master ignore;
    check-names slave ignore;
    check-names response ignore;
};

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes