MS dynamic DNS supports static and dynamic entries in same zone?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Nov 29 17:13:27 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:50:27PM +0300, Michael Kondrashin wrote:

> > With DNS, many people have their files in some sort of revision
> > control, such as RCS.  In addition, they have comments and maybe even
> > some pretty formatting in the file to make it easier to read.  BIND
> > certainly can allow DDNS to merge new entries into the existing files.
> > However, for better configuration control, it is SUGGESTED [strongly]
> > that dynamic entries be separate from static ones.
>
> I have tried to setup static and dynamic addresses in one zone. Result was that BIND wrote updates into my static file.
>     If I want to create different zones for static and dynamic addresses what will be with reverce DNS (PTR recodrs)? Should I arrange different subnets for dynamic and static addresses?
>
> *.static.domain.com <-> 192.168.1.*
> *.ddns.domain.com <-> 192.168.2.*
>
> Am i right?
>
> Can I use ddns in different zones (so BIND wont mix my files), but one subnet?

I think you are right about this - if your static and dynamic hosts are
in the same /24 network, then DDNS will overwrite your reverse DNS
file.  Your solution is what I would come up with on first thought.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B