MS dynamic DNS supports static and dynamic entries in same zone?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Nov 27 20:44:28 UTC 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:18:31PM -0600, Cox, Chris wrote:

> I have been told by our M$ gurus that the M$ solution
> has no problem with static and dynamic entries in the
> same zone... the ISC documentation seems to indicate
> that dynamically updated zones should be separate
> from the statically controlled zones.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> --
> Christopher J. Cox
> Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
> Sterling Commerce, Inc.
> 469-524-2320

The MS software only supports initializing zones with its GUI, if I
understand correctly.  The internally stored static addresses are
merged with dynamic addresses.  No thought is given to configuration
control such as with RCS.

With DNS, many people have their files in some sort of revision
control, such as RCS.  In addition, they have comments and maybe even
some pretty formatting in the file to make it easier to read.  BIND
certainly can allow DDNS to merge new entries into the existing files.
However, for better configuration control, it is SUGGESTED [strongly]
that dynamic entries be separate from static ones.

This is usually not a particular hardship.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B
		     mail to sys-adm at center.osis.gov