Primary DNS server doesn't reply correctly...

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Wed Nov 28 02:31:30 UTC 2001

>I have a somewhat strange DNS problem. It seems that my primary server does
>not reply correctly to DNS answers - but my secondaries do (I'm using
>easydns as secondary service).

what does it reply with that is incorrrect, in you opinion?

>I'm running standard ISC BIND 8.2.4 under NT4 (downloaded from
>http://bind8nt.meiway.com/)

you didn't use my allow-recursion restriction :

virusgate1# dig @ns.dibbern.dk dibbern.org axfr

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns.dibbern.dk dibbern.org axfr
; (1 server found)
$ORIGIN dibbern.org.
@                       1H IN SOA       ns.dibbern.dk. hostmaster.dibbern.dk. (
                                         2001101608      ; serial
                                         6H              ; refresh
                                         1H              ; retry
                                         2w6d            ; expiry
                                         1H )            ; minimum

                         1H IN NS        ns.dibbern.dk.
                         1H IN NS        remote2.easydns.com.
                         1H IN NS        ns2.easydns.com.
                         1H IN NS        ns1.easydns.com.
                         1H IN NS        remote1.easydns.com.
                         1H IN A         213.237.53.109
                         1H IN MX        10 mail
                         1H IN MX        20 smtp.easydns.com.
                         1H IN MX        25 smtp2.easydns.com.
mail                    1H IN A         213.237.12.1
ftp                     1H IN A         213.237.53.109
www                     1H IN A         213.237.53.109

How about adding A record for the NS zone record?

You have logging turned on, what's in the log file as errors?

o The server "ns1.easydns.com." did not reply
     The server "ns1.easydns.com." did not reply when it was queried
     for the name "dibbern.org.".  This indicates that the server is
     not running, or it is currently unreachable.

o Only one of your name servers has authoritative data for the zone.
     The server "ns.dibbern.dk." is the only server that has
     authoritative data for the zone.  If this server becomes
     unavailable, your domain will become inaccessible.

Warnings
o The zone contains more than one authoritative name server with the
   same IP address
     The name servers "ns2.easydns.com." and "ns.dibbern.dk.", which
     are authoritative for "dibbern.org.", have the same IP address
     (213.237.12.1).

o The zone contains more than one authoritative name server with the
   same IP address
     The name servers "ns2.easydns.com." and "remote1.easydns.com.",
     which are authoritative for "dibbern.org.", have the same IP
     address (213.237.12.1).

o The zone contains more than one authoritative name server with the
   same IP address
     The name servers "ns2.easydns.com." and "remote2.easydns.com.",
     which are authoritative for "dibbern.org.", have the same IP
     address (213.237.12.1).

o The zone contains more than one authoritative name server with the
   same IP address
     The name servers "remote1.easydns.com." and "ns.dibbern.dk.",
     which are authoritative for "dibbern.org.", have the same IP
     address (213.237.12.1).

o The zone contains more than one authoritative name server with the
   same IP address
     The name servers "remote1.easydns.com." and
     "remote2.easydns.com.", which are authoritative for
     "dibbern.org.", have the same IP address (213.237.12.1).

o The zone contains more than one authoritative name server with the
   same IP address
     The name servers "remote2.easydns.com." and "ns.dibbern.dk.",

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways