Verification of make install

Ronald Landheer ronaldlandheer at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 18:37:34 UTC 2001

Hello list,

I guess I'm the kind of guy that worries when things go too easily, but
I just updated my BIND to the latest version on a Linux 7.0 box. I
configured, made and ran make install.
All seems to be great: I ran /etc/init.d/named restart and it restarted
without problems, and is behaving exactly as it should be.
This worries me.

What I'd like to know is:
  * is /etc/init.d/named restart (or rather: /etc/rc.d/init.d/named
    restart) the right command to run with BIND built from sources?
  * is there anything I should look for to make sure the BIND I just
    installed is correctly doing it's thing?
  * I updated from the version distributed with RedHat 7.0, and did not
    erase the RPM before running make install (because it would break
    dependencies), so RPM still reports the old version. This is normal,
    I guess - I expected this - but does this mean that my dependencies
    are *all* still in tact? (i.e. is the newest BIND backward-
    compatible with the old one?)

The old bind is: bind-8.2.2_P7-1

Thanx for your patience :)

Ronald