2 Networks

McNutt, Justin M. McNuttJ at missouri.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:58:09 UTC 2001

> Hello

Good morning!  (It's *very* early here.)

> If i have two networks like 192.168.1.0, 192.168.2.0 with two
> suse linux servers.
> Both are routers, one of their is a outgoing-internet-router with tr0
> 192.168.1.0 and ippp0
> 212.16.10.0 and the other is a ethernet to token-ring-router with tr0
> 192.168.1.0 and eth0 192.168.2.0
> There is a bind 8 on the internet-router. Now i have to
> resolve ips and names in my networks.

Shouldn't be much of a problem.  You're running BIND in the most convenient
place.

> My Question: Should i create another bind-server on the
> ethernet-to-token-ring-router or

No.  Waste of time.

> can i take this kofiguration on the internet-router compactly.
> Actualy my master-zone are named wilbit.ch and 192.168.1. I
> think i can create another master
> zone named 192.168.2 on the existing bind8 without taking
> anotherone on the ethernet-to-token-ring
> router. Is that correct or not?

Yes.  You are exactly right.  Just make sure that your hosts on 192.168.2/24
are configured to point to your name server at 192.168.1.x and it'll all
work.  I do this in my networks at home and at work.

You *could* run another name server on the second router, but there's really
no reason to.  It would just be more stuff you'd have to maintain.

> Sorry for my bad english translation.

Your English is *not* that bad.  Give yourself more credit than that.  ;-)

--J