hosting by name

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Nov 19 01:43:22 UTC 2001

> I'm having a  problem understanding the host part of dns
> databases.  I guess
> it isn't a small misunderstanding.  Here's what I have for my brother's
> domain, which I'm trying to host.  I'm trying to host by name.
>
> hawthorndesign.net
>
> in named.conf, I have
> zone "hawthorndesign.net" {
>     type master;
>     file "db.hawthorndesign.net";
>
> and in "db.hawthorndesign.net" I have:
>
> $TTL  3h
> hawthorndesign.net. IN SOA hawthorndesign.net.
> hawthorn.hawthorndesign.net.
> (
>    1 ; Serial
>    3h ; Refresh after 3 hours
>    1h ; Retry after 1 h
>    1w ; Expire after 1 week
>    1h ) ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour
>
>  IN NS ns1.dnn.cc.
>  IN NS ns2.dnn.cc.
>  IN MX 10 mail.hawthorndesign.net
> # IN MX 10 mail.dnn.cc.
>
>  IN A 66.73.83.41
> www IN A  66.73.83.41
>
> mail.hawthorndesign.net IN A 66.73.83.41
>
> There may be many errors, but actually, my primary irritation right now is
> that  www.hawthorndesign.net works, and hawthorndesign.net does
> not.  When I dig hawthorndesign.net, there is no answer section.

The comment character in a zone data file is ";", not "#".  So this
zone data file has a host named #.hawthorndesign.net, which has an
MX record and an address of 66.73.83.41.  Changing the "#" to a ";"
should fix it.

Also, you're missing a trailing dot after both occurrences of
"mail.hawthorndesign.net."

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes