DNS spoof protection, please explain

McNutt, Justin M. McNuttJ at missouri.edu
Sat Nov 17 19:46:55 UTC 2001

It keeps people from hijacking each others' name spaces.

Example:  I own 128.206.*.*.  I set up a reverse record for 128.206.1.1 in
my name server and call it "www.ptd.net".

Then I telnet to someplace.  That place looks up 128.206.1.1, which comes to
my name server, because I own the inverse name space.  My server says,
"That's www.ptd.net."  However, when the telnet server looks up www.pdt.net,
it goes to the ptd.net name server, who says that www.ptd.net is NOT
128.206.1.1.  Www.ptd.net may not even exist.  Therefore my connection
fails, because I tried to hijack the ptd.net name space.

That's *one* reason those checks are there.

--J