bind9 zone transfers with rsync

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Nov 13 00:25:22 UTC 2001

> In article <9sff4u$kgu at pub3.rc.vix.com>, "Mark_Andrews"
> <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:
>
> >	Why do we have to document every single potential way of doing things?
>
> I would expect removed configuration options to be in the migration notes,
> but this is not.

	They are.  The first entry says to check doc/misc/options.

> >       It really is not that hard to work
> > 	out how to do this.
> >
> > 	rsync ... && rndc ... reload zone
>
> This seems like more of a work around for the missing functionality, I
> said in my original post I was able to write a cron job to rsync and
> reload, but as Barry pointed out here:

	Depends how you define the functionality.  If you define
	it as fetching deltas in a platform independent way, the
	functionality is there.

	If you define it as being able to replace the standard zone
	transfer mechanisms and have them automatically triggered
	then it is not there.

	Note with rsync driven from the slave end you may pick up
	a incomplete zone.  This is less likely to happen if the
	process is driven from the master.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org