Name Server Behind Router

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Sat Nov 10 17:07:05 UTC 2001

> >I'd run dhcpd on the FreeBSD box to assign internal IP addresses.  If
> >you run the ISC's DHCP server, you can configure it to dynamically
> >add forward and reverse mappings for your DHCP clients.
> I disagree will you on this.  If you have a private address space like
> 10.x.x.x why go to the bother of setting up and managing yet another
> server? Just give all of your boxes fixed 10.x.x.x addresses and forget
> about it. Managing yet another service is a headache you don't need to
> deal with if it's not necessary.

Sure, that's an option.  But I prefer using DHCP, so that I can easily
reset other networking parameters, including a client's local domain name
and name servers.  Moreover, most versions of Windows boot in either a
statically defined network configuration or using DHCP.  If you use DHCP
at the office and a static configuration at home, you'll have to
reconfigure TCP/IP networking each time you change locations.  If you
use DHCP in both places, you won't need to change anything.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes