Newbie Primary server question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Nov 8 22:27:11 UTC 2001

In article <9sevr3$h0p at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Todd Flom  <todd at flom.com> wrote:

>Hey Guys,
>
>Having a real hard time understanding why this doesn't want to work. A
>friend of mine wanted me to provide primary DNS for him. I currently
>provide primary DNS for some virtual services on my server. For whatever
>reason everything resolves correctly except for
>"http://www.ambient-software.com". That wants to point at my server for
>some reason, even though nslookup thinks it s/b the other way.
>"http://ambient-software.com" works just fine and even
>ftp.ambient-software.com works. Below are my conf and zone files:

They both resolve to the same thing for me:

    tools:~#1628% dig www.ambient-software.com a

    ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.ambient-software.com a
    ;; got answer:
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3
    ;; QUERY SECTION:
    ;;	www.ambient-software.com, type = A, class = IN

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.ambient-software.com.  1D IN A  209.98.145.120

    tools:~#1632% dig ambient-software.com a

    ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ambient-software.com a
    ;; got answer:
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3
    ;; QUERY SECTION:
    ;;	ambient-software.com, type = A, class = IN

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    ambient-software.com.	1D IN A		209.98.145.120

I got the same page in my browser with both URLs.  They both showed a page
with information about Orion Application Server 1.5.2.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA