Aging & Scavenging of W2K DNS Records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 6 23:39:34 UTC 2001

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at. It's the job of the DNS server to
answer queries and process updates; it's the job of the DHCP server to hand out
leases and (optionally) generate DNS updates. Now, if some particular DHCP server
(e.g. Win2K) isn't doing its job properly, how is that the DNS server
implementation's (e.g. BIND's) fault? You should be able to document instances
where the Win2K DHCP server does The Wrong Thing, create a trouble ticket, get
Microsoft to work on it. The fact that Microsoft's DNS server has some kludgey way
to cover up the inadequacies of its DHCP server is irrelevant: all over their
website and other marketing materials, Microsoft trumpets the interoperability of
their products with non-Microsoft products. So hold them to the promises they made
when they sold you the product. Get your money's worth out of that support
contract. If they take too long fixing the problem, demand a partial refund of the
purchase price. This is all just sound business practice, nothing "religious" or
"political" about it.

- Kevin