Aging & Scavenging of W2K DNS Records

Richard Phillips richphillips at lucent.com
Tue Nov 6 23:09:04 UTC 2001

Barry,
	Would you say, that as long as the Server is properly secured, with only
allowing DDNS updates to come from the DHCP servers, and not DDNS updates
allowed from any client, then BIND has no issue as far as junk records!??
This Utopia is always the recommended scenario, but there are many
"POLICITAL" aspects to all of our environments, that may force us to open
things up a bit, most of which finally refer to a W2K implementation or two.
Even if we did delegate the _zones, there are just some companies that just
follow MS right into the PIT!  This becomes a religious battle for me, so I
must stop here.  I push & push for companies to use BIND, but with the clout
that MS brings to the table, it's sometimes hard to convince anyone of
anything else!!!

Anyway.......
I agree with what you have said regarding the DHCP server, but I've seen
situations in which the DHCP server did do it's job, and unfortunately the
record didn't get cycled out.   This can once again be caused by the issues
that I've mentioned below.  I've seen it work with 3rd party IP Management
products, but I've not seen it work properly with ISC's DHCP V.2 or MS's
DHCP server.  I've seen the server not clear the hostname until that address
is handed out to someone else.

Rich