Outgoing Pings from DNS server...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 10 19:04:05 UTC 2001

Pelletier, Michael wrote:

> I am seeing pings (ICMP) datagrams leaving my DNS server. Is this normal? I
> am using BIND 9.1.1

What kind of platform are you running your nameserver on? The last time
something like this was reported, it turned out to be a bug in HP-UX'es
networking code. (Look for the Subject: line "icmp problem" in the list
archives, if you want to see that thread).

Also, not all ICMP packets are pings (ECHO REQUEST and ECHO REPLY). I think in
the case of the HP-UX problem, they were actually SOURCE QUENCH packets. If
yours is not the same HP-UX problem, then it may be useful diagnostic
information to discover what kind of ICMP message these are.

- Kevin

P.S. Are you *that* Michael Pelletier?