Outgoing Pings from DNS server...

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu May 10 18:30:01 UTC 2001

    Michael> I am seeing pings (ICMP) datagrams leaving my DNS
    Michael> server. Is this normal? I am using BIND 9.1.1

The name server doesn't send ICMP packets directly, though your
system's TCP/IP stack will. Why it does that depends on prevailing
circumstances: redirects, echo requests, multicasting, destination
unreachable, netmask probes, fragmentation, etc. And of course you
could be running applications on the box like ping or traceroute that
generate ICMP packets directly. So why you're seeing ICMP traffic is
anyone's guess. A certain amount of that traffic will be routine
TCP/IP stuff. It's up to you to determine if any of that traffic is
abnormal. Probably none of that traffic has anything to do with DNS.