two or more bind/servers on the same machine

Randall Badilla rbadilla at cesa.co.cr
Thu May 3 18:39:42 UTC 2001

Hi all:
I have checked the maillist archive but I still have a dubt.
The only way to have two or more bind process (each named.conf for
differents zones) is via chroot?

I'm trying to migrate a bind conf from a Sun Netra machine (wich a unknow
version of bind 8) which Bind script states something like this:
/usr/sbin/named my.zone.conf &
/usr/sbin/named my.otherzone.conf &
With this setup there are 2 bind process with (diferent listen-on
statement, and diferent nics and ip address for each one) running fine
(has nearly 5 month running).

On the new server which is running bind 8.2.3 I try the same and ndc gave
errors and the bind only resolvs me for one or the other zone but not all.

I guessing it's a version problem or I'm loosing something.

My search only give me examples using chroot, but I have one running a
very simple setup without it. Then somebody can enlightme If I can do the
same with bind 8.2.3 and how, or I have to go with chroot ?

Thanks a lot!