can't get ixfr to work

Hannah O Day hoyoung at us.ibm.com
Tue May 29 15:45:01 UTC 2001

Kevin,

Ok...I have added the server statement.  Now it seems working!  On the
slave, I no longer see Axfr msgs, only notify msg.  On the master, I see
ixfr instead of axfr.  But how can I make sure it's actually doing ixfr?

Thanks!
Hannah Day

                    Kevin Darcy
                    <kcd at daimlerchr       To:     bind-users at isc.org
                    ysler.com>            cc:
                    Sent by:              Subject:     Re: can't get ixfr to work
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    05/25/01 09:30
                    PM

At a bare minimum, you'd need

server x.x.x.x {
    support-ixfr yes;
};

in the slave's named.conf file, referring to the master's IP address of
course. That's enough to at least
get the slave to *attempt* IXFR. As for getting them to actually *do*
incremental transfers, I haven't got
that to work, but then I haven't spent a _whole_ lot of time on it either.
My initial packet traces
indicate that the master always sends the entire contents of the zone, even
when an IXFR is requested (and
yes, I'm using Dynamic Update for all my updates, so there are tons of
.ixfr files on the master; that's
not the problem). In other words, named considers it an IXFR transfer but
it's not really incremental at
all.

Basically, I'm looking forward to a sane IXFR implementation in BIND 9...

- Kevin