No Debugging Output from Bind-9.1.2 on FreeBSD4.3 New System

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Fri May 25 21:52:17 UTC 2001

Martin McCormick wrote:

>         This is a brand new Freebsd system running on an IBM
> Netfinity server.  I compiled bind-9.1.2 using
>
> configure --disable-threads as recommended in the README file.
> There was no problem in either the configure or the make or make
> install steps, but named simply never gets a process going.  If I
> try something like
>
> /usr/local/sbin named -d5, I just get the shell prompt again with
> no message.  No /var/run/named.pid file is created and I did make
> sure that the directory called for in the named.conf file I was
> using actually exists as well as the directory for logging.
>
>         I get the impression that I have done something so
> terrible in the setup that named can't get itself running long
> enough to even complain.
>
>         The named.conf file is a copy of one used on another
> system so I know it is basically good.  It also passes the
> named-confcheck.
>
>         Are there any suggestions as to what I should look for
> next?

	Have you configured any logging in your named.conf file? If not, look in
/var/log/messages, if so, look there and tell us what it says. Also, have
you confirmed that no other named is already running on this system? What
does "sockstat | grep 53" say? Finally, what version of FreeBSD are you
running?

--
    I need someone really bad. Are you really bad?