No Debugging Output from Bind-9.1.2 on FreeBSD4.3 New System

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri May 25 19:30:31 UTC 2001

	This is a brand new Freebsd system running on an IBM
Netfinity server.  I compiled bind-9.1.2 using

configure --disable-threads as recommended in the README file.
There was no problem in either the configure or the make or make
install steps, but named simply never gets a process going.  If I
try something like

/usr/local/sbin named -d5, I just get the shell prompt again with
no message.  No /var/run/named.pid file is created and I did make
sure that the directory called for in the named.conf file I was
using actually exists as well as the directory for logging.

	I get the impression that I have done something so
terrible in the setup that named can't get itself running long
enough to even complain.

	The named.conf file is a copy of one used on another
system so I know it is basically good.  It also passes the
named-confcheck.

	Are there any suggestions as to what I should look for
next?

	I had actually built bind-9.1.1rc5 on the same system
earlier with exactly the same results.  I went to the isc site
and got 9.1.2 to see if that one might work any better.  Any port
in a storm.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group