keeping RFC1918 reverse lookups in one file

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu May 24 22:24:55 UTC 2001

Charles Menzes wrote:

> I *think* this is a valid db file. However, I am not so certain as to how
> to call it from within named.conf.

Looks okay to me.

> how can i call this file to create a central point of administration for
> my rfc1918 addresses?
>
> i am using bind 9.1.0

If you put records for 10.in-addr.arpa. and
16.127.in-addr.arpa. in the same zone file, BIND will now
insist the domain would have to be "in-addr.arpa." (Or maybe
"arpa.", anything higher up the hierarchy), and I don't
think you want that, as it would make other reverse lookups
fun.

What is the problem with just having a zone file per RFC1918
range? Compared to installing a network, vi yank and paste
is pretty easy.

On one of my better days it occurred to me that 10.0.0.0/24
should give enough addresses for most organizations to put
all their private addresses in, and wondered why the other
two exist. RFC1918 explains it is for sites with devices
that don't handle subnets properly, lot of those types of
devices around these days obviously!? So why did I use
192.168/16?

Either I should get out more to refresh the grey cells, or
read more RFCs.

--
Simon Waters
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?