keeping RFC1918 reverse lookups in one file

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu May 24 22:18:43 UTC 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:21:52PM -0500, Charles Menzes wrote:

> all-
> i have, what i hope to be an easy dns question.
> i would like to incorporate all of my rfc1918 addresses into a single db
> file for reverse dns lookups.

Nope.  Not unless this is a private network with no Internet
connectivity at all, and with a private root.

> the model i have in place, is similar to:
>
> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     nameserver.foo. admin.nameserver.foo. (
>                         2001031700      ;Serial
>                         10800           ;Refresh after 3 hours
>                         3600            ;Retry after 1 hour
>                         604800          ;Expire after 1 week
>                         86400 )         ;Minimum TTL of 1 day
>
>         IN      NS      nameserver.foo
>
> $ORIGIN 1.1.10.in-addr.arpa.
> ;10.1.1/24
> 1       IN      PTR     blah.foo
> 2       IN      PTR     blah2.foo
>
> $ORIGIN 3.3.10.in-addr.arpa.
> ;10.3.3/24
> 1       IN      PTR     blah3.foo
> 2       IN      PTR     blah4.foo
>
> $ORIGIN 254.16.172.in-addr.arpa.
> 1       IN      PTR     blah5.foo
> 2       IN      PTR     blah6.foo
>

> I *think* this is a valid db file. However, I am not so certain as to how
> to call it from within named.conf.

It is not valid.  Under what all-inclusive domain are the above?
Unless you say, "in-addr.arpa.", you are wrong.  And if you make the
above the zone file for "in-addr.arpa.", then you have lost ALL other
reverse-DNS lookups you could ever do.

Of course, under the conditions I gave above, the latter is fine.

> I already have a
>
> zone "." IN {
>
> entry for my root server information.

OK.  Is this a hints zone [Internet connected]?  Or a master zone
[private root]?

> how can i call this file to create a central point of administration for
> my rfc1918 addresses?

With a private root,

zone "in-addr.arpa." {
	type master;
	file "...";
};

Otherwise, break it up into two or more files for "10.in-addr.arpa."
[or the various /24's of that] and "254.16.172.in-addr.arpa.".

> i am using bind 9.1.0

Same answer for 8.* and 9.*.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B