Setting Up Secondary Server ...

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Fri May 18 14:05:28 UTC 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Desmond Coughlan wrote to Mark.Andrews at nominum.com:

> Thanks, but the documentation does not give the names of the files
> required.  The two sources I'm working from, are the documentation,
> and the ripe site that someone posted.  These two sources contradict
> each other.  :(

The filenames used for your hints file and zone files can be anything you
want, as long as your named.conf references them correctly.  However it
sounds from your messages like you need to gain a better understanding of
DNS in general and BIND specifically before you try to run it.  It isn't
rocket science, but it's far from simple and if not done correctly will
cause a lot of problems for you and for the Internet in general.  Get
yourself a copy of "DNS and BIND" by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu,
preferably the 4th edition.  It's not light reading, but it's the bible
for BIND admins and is definitely required reading.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204-5179 U.S.A.