wrting to BIND from Winnt application

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon May 14 21:30:59 UTC 2001

ereza at meetu.com wrote:

> Greetings all
>
> i'm lokking for a way to write records to bind (any version, any
> flavor) from winnt.
>
> our company is developing a colaboration server that  uses DNS (winnt
> mainly). for each user registerd we write a CNAME record on the DNS,
> now i'm doing it on winnt DNS using dnccmd.exe.
> i prefer Linux and bind,so i wan't to know if there is a way to do it
> from winnt to bind, i will send Bind the canonical name and the host
> to redirect it to, it can be 'A' record as well .
> i know there is a Porting of bind to winnt, but i can't use it, since
> i'm deploying this server at my users sites, and some of them
> are using bind :)
> i did a little digging and found that i can use nsupdate.exe from the
> Winnt porting of bind, but as far as i understood i can't give it the
> IP of a remote DNS and thr RRs to update, do i?

The BIND 8 nsupdate utility figures out the master server based on what
is in the SOA and NS records for the zone. So if your SOA and NS records
are in order, it should be able to find the master server. Once found,
you can update RR's using the utility.

Additionally, the BIND 9 nsupdate utility allows one to explicitly
specify the master server, overriding whatever is in the SOA and
NS records for the zone. But I don't think any part of BIND 9 is
available on the Windows platform yet.

Also, I don't know whether any of the Windows versions of nsupdate
support TSIG-based authentication, which is something you probably want
if you care at all about security.

- Kevin