name with multiple IP address

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Mar 29 12:05:48 UTC 2001

At 11:16 PM -0500 3/28/01, Hossien Yadollahi wrote:

>  Application sent a request to resolver to resolve the name to IP address
>  of a router,  router has two CP's each with different IP address.
>  Assuming the server is capable of sort the IP addresses of the CP's on
>  the router & answer the resolver query with both IP addresses,
>  My question is how can application tell which IP belongs to which CP.

	If a single name resolves to multiple IP addresses, then these
will be presented to the resolver, and it will try to contact them in
the order they are presented.  Now, if you're not load-balancing
across the pair of IP addresses (e.g., one is your internal interface
and one is the external interface), then you have to give them
different names so that they can be distinguished.

	If this is for the management of the router itself, then you can
give them different names so that they can be distinguished for
monitoring/management purposes (e.g., router-cp1.example.com,
router-cp2.example.com, etc...).

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */