Caching only server problem.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Mar 28 20:36:53 UTC 2001

Since you're on a 10.*.*.* network, I assume you're using some form of
forwarding to be able to resolve those registered addresses. And I assume
further that you are *not* using your master as your general forwarder,
otherwise you'd be able to resolve whatever the master could resolve. Given
those assumptions, you need to set up the apex zones -- e.g.
"example.com" and/or "10.in-addr.arpa", but not any children such as
"foo.example.com" or "0.10.in-addr.arpa" -- of all your internal domains
(forward and/or reverse) on your nameserver as zones of type "slave",
"stub" or "forward". Note that if you choose "slave" or "stub", you may need
to specify "forwarders { }" in the zone definition in order to cancel
forwarding for any subzones.

I could go into more detail as to the tradeoffs between "slave", "stub" and
"forward", if you'd like. Or just search the archives. I've discussed this
many times before.

- Kevin