BIND and Webmin

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Thu Mar 22 01:53:08 UTC 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:30:27 +0100, Tony Earnshaw wrote:

>My experience, for what it's worth, is that you'd do best to learn (and
>love) vi to edit BIND zone and conf files.

The pico editor is often recommended to *nix newcomers as it's easy to
learn. I've found that Gnu Emacs has a zone mode that automatically
updates the serial number when writing the zone file. However, I've
switched to dynamic updates so now I do all my zone maintenance with
nsupdate. Still use Emacs for the config file.

BIND is one of those programs that's *so* configurable that writing a
GUI configurator for it would be a tough design problem.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]