Logging and Slave Config

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 6 01:58:48 UTC 2001

The "channel" clauses need to be defined *within* the "logging" statement.
You have them at the same level.

Also, I think your slave zone definitions are being rejected because the
parser wants whitespace between the word "masters" and the curly brace.
Ditto for whitespace between the double-quote of most of your zone names
and the following curly brace.

Those are the initial errors I noticed glancing through the config. There
may be more. When logging works, it'll help you to find them.

No, there's currently no facility provided for a slave server to ascertain
*all* zones that some other server is master for. People have developed
various ways of automating or at least semi-automating slave-server
configuration maintenance. In our limited internal namespace, for instance,
my slaves run a script daily which walks through the internal-root
namespace looking for all zones for which their master is authoritative,
and updating their named.conf files appropriately (I "prune" the tree-walk
so as to not have them expend too much effort walking through parts of the
tree over which my organization clearly has no control). Obviously, this
approach is not appropriate for Internet servers. An alternative proposal
that I have floated, but never actually implemented myself, is to scan the
logs for NOTIFY messages for zones which are not being served. After
confirming that the zones *should* be served, add the slave definitions to
named.conf. Deletion would then be handled by periodically checking all
slave zones to see if the master is still answering authoritatively for
them. Alternatively, a lazier approach would be to just delete slave zone
definitions when the zones expire.

- Kevin