Logging and Slave Config

Neil Ridlinghafer neilr at dsldesigns.com
Mon Mar 5 20:21:40 UTC 2001

Greetings,

I've been working to get a slave server working properly using
BIND-8.2.3 and seem to be having some issues. I've searched through the
list archive and have not been able to find the solution so I am sending
an email in hope of some help.

I've setup my config as follows:

----------Contents of named.conf-----------------
options {
        directory "/var/named";
        allow-transfer { 192.216.138.10 };
        transfer-source 192.216.138.10;
        transfer-format many-answers;

};
logging {
	category default { default_syslog; default_debug; };
};
	channel default_debug {
	file "/var/log/dns_debug"versions 3 size 20m;
	severity debug 9;
	print-time yes;
	print-category yes;
};
channel default_syslog {
	syslog daemon;  # send to syslog's daemon facility
	severity info;  # only send priority info and higher
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.cache";
};
zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA"{
        type master;
        file "127.0.0";
        notify yes;
};
zone "dsldesigns.com"{
        type slave;
        file "slave.dsldesigns.com";
        masters{ 192.216.138.10; };
        notify-source 192.216.138.10 port 53;
};
zone "dsldesigns.net"{
        type slave;
        file "slave.dsldesigns.net";
        masters{ 192.216.138.10; };
        notify-source 192.216.138.10 port 53;
};
----------------------end named.conf----------------

What I am trying to accomplish is for this server to be a secondary to
our primary server for redundancy purposes. So I need this server to
pull all the records from the main server.

Question: If this were setup properly would it automatically update the
secondary server whenever we entered a new domain into our primary
server? We do alot of website hosting so this is something we need to
happen.

Question: I've read where we need to put the xone statement into the
slave config such as zone "dsldesigns.com" but we really need it to copy
all the domains not just one or two, how do we tell it to do that?

Anyway, this server does not seem to work by itself, if I take down the
primary server, then the secondary gives error messages when doing
lookups.

Also, the logging i've configured seems to be wrong since nothing is
getting logged anywhere.

Any help on these matters would be greatly! appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--Neil

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: neilr.vcf