Manual & dynamic update-maintenance of zone files

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Thu Mar 1 14:56:01 UTC 2001

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:14:23AM +0530, Umakanth V.S wrote:
> I would like to know the best way of maintaining  both these type of
> addresses in the DNS zone files. Manual updation of the data files and
> then incrementing the serial number causes the named server to exit
> because the files on disk and the journal files are not in sync.

Use seperate zones for static and dynamic records. Do not make any
hand-edits to zone files subject to dynamic update operations.

Example;

yourdomain.com is the static, hand maintained zone. Edit with your
favourite text editor, increment the serial and reload the zone.

dhcp.yourdomain.com is maintained by dynamic update. Never touch the
zone file.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's