reverse lookup question...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 26 22:02:44 UTC 2001

Wouter Sonneveldt wrote:

> Why I'm asking is the following:
>
> Our company doesn't host its own DNS-records. This is done by our ISP. Now
> we want to change ISP's, but still have our names working. But our old ISP
> is having "trouble" finding which registered domain-names we have (stupid
> huh?).

Yeah, that's pretty stupid. Why don't they just grep that IP address from
their zone files?

Alternatively, why don't you/they look in the web/mail/etc. logs and just see
what domain names clients are using to access your websites/servers/etc.?

Failing those methods, if your ISP used only one registrar for all of your
gTLD domain names, and a consistent owner name on all of them, then maybe the
registrar can generate a "all domains owned by X" kind of report.

- Kevin