nslookup query timeout?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 15:14:09 UTC 2001

Kevin Tang wrote:

> On the firewall, I set a tunnel for UDP port 53 to 53 and another
> tunnel for UDP port 53 to '1024 to 65535' (dynamic source port for
> recursive queries).
>
> Any idea? Is the problem has to do with my setting on dynamic source port for recursive queries?

Idea 1 - tunnel TCP port 53 from firewall to server!

Idea 2 - you can force the server to use a specific port for
queries if you don't like using a dynamic source port.

Idea 3 - host the information on a DNS server outside your
firewall, like at your ISP. This option has a lot to
recommend it.

The issue looks more like a firewall configuration issue,
although you should allow TCP to port 53 if your allowing
UDP.

Port forwarding DNS queries always makes me a tad nervous,
as usually you can only forward to one server, I assume you
have a secondary somewhere more accessible outside this
firewall ?!

--
Simon Waters
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?