Tracking all RRsets for a given host

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jun 21 20:40:06 UTC 2001

David Carmean wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 03:58:11PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> >
> > Why don't you just put PTR records in the *forward* zone, for each
> > interface-specific name, specifying the "parent" name to which it
> > belongs? I.e.
> >
> >     somehost-le0        IN      A       192.168.1.1
> >                                     IN      PTR   somehost
>
> Excellent thought!  I'll give it a try....
>
> > ... If you want to make it a little
> > more comprehensible, you could adopt some "friendly" convention like putting
> > a "parent" label in front of the name, e.g. parent.somehost-le0 could
> > resolve to somehost.
>
> You mean something like
>
>     parent.somehost-le0    IN    PTR    somehost  #?
>
> Or even as a CNAME record?

Hmmm, yes, I guess a CNAME would work too. You could make explicit CNAME queries
if you didn't want the aliasing to occur. I'm not sure why you'd prefer using a
CNAME to a PTR, though; CNAME doesn't give you any more functionality in this
context.

> I must confess to not being
> certain of where a '.' may be included as part of a label,
> as opposed to where it can only be a separator.

Well it *is* a separator. It establishes a subdomain, but not a subzone, so the
"parent.somehost-le0" name still belongs in the same zone as its
"ancestor" names, somehost-le0 and somehost. All perfectly legal.

Come to think of it, why not just use a le0.somehost convention? Then it's
trivial to ascertain the "parent" node of any given "child".

- Kevin