Tracking all RRsets for a given host

David Carmean dlc-bu at halibut.com
Thu Jun 21 00:17:53 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 03:58:11PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Why don't you just put PTR records in the *forward* zone, for each
> interface-specific name, specifying the "parent" name to which it
> belongs? I.e.
>
>     somehost-le0        IN      A       192.168.1.1
>                                     IN      PTR   somehost

Excellent thought!  I'll give it a try....

> ... If you want to make it a little
> more comprehensible, you could adopt some "friendly" convention like putting
> a "parent" label in front of the name, e.g. parent.somehost-le0 could
> resolve to somehost.

You mean something like

    parent.somehost-le0    IN    PTR    somehost  #?

Or even as a CNAME record?   I must confess to not being
certain of where a '.' may be included as part of a label,
as opposed to where it can only be a separator.  Especially
after hearing of (but not yet RTFMing on) the issues with
"check-names" and schemes to encode non-english domain names.

BIND 8.2.3 allowed this, for PTR, TXT, and CNAME records,
but is it legal....?