SV: BIND 9.1.2 and TinyDNS???

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jun 19 22:31:23 UTC 2001

At 12:19 AM +0200 6/20/01, Markus Stumpf wrote:

>  We had problems with all bind versions 4.x and 8.x when they hit the
>  memory limit. These versions have no mechanism to expire/remove records
>  from the cache and simply die.
>  Dunno about bind 9.x though.

	IIRC, I believe that BIND 9.2 solves this problem.

>  There are 2 solutions to this problem:
>  - put more memory in the machine
>  - use dnscache. It replaces cached records on a fifo basis if it runs out
>    of memory.

	You should always be able to put more memory in a nameserver, or
any machine for that matter.  Adding memory is one of the cheapest,
fastest, and easiest ways to be able to increase the performance of
any machine.

	Indeed, ultra-low profile (1.25" high) 512MB PC100 SODIMMS
(capable of taking an Apple PowerBook G4 to 1GB of RAM) are available
for just $291 each (or less, see <http://www.memorytogo.com/>).

	With these kinds of prices on some of the most expensive memory
around (because of its requirements for size, speed, and power draw),
why wouldn't you want to increase the memory in any machine that
could possibly benefit?

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */