BIND 9 Breaks MX resolution?

Cricket Liu cricket at VeriSign.com
Mon Jun 18 15:14:46 UTC 2001

> I've tried to upgrade my AlphaStation running Red Hat Linux 7.0 to bind 9
> twice now, both compiling it myself and using RPM's, and I always get the
> same result.  When I upgrade, MX records for major sites like hotmail and
> aol don't get returned until I specifically ask for them once - so mail
from
> my site to those sites bounces.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Here is an example using host - note that the first "host -a" returns no
MX
> records, but after looking for them specifically, it does:
>
> [vond at rapier vond]$ host -a hotmail.com 127.0.0.1
> Trying "hotmail.com."
> Using domain server:
> Name: 127.0.0.1
> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
> Aliases:

> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;hotmail.com.                   IN      ANY
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> hotmail.com.            153119  IN      NS      NS1.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com.            153119  IN      NS      NS2.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com.            153119  IN      NS      NS3.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com.            153119  IN      NS      NS4.hotmail.com.
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> hotmail.com.            153119  IN      NS      NS3.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com.            153119  IN      NS      NS4.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com.            153119  IN      NS      NS1.hotmail.com.
> hotmail.com.            153119  IN      NS      NS2.hotmail.com.
>
> Received 157 bytes from 127.0.0.1#53 in 87 ms

Looking up ANY records for hotmail.com gives you,
literally, any records your name server finds that are
attached to hotmail.com--and any is not the same as
all.  Since your name server didn't have the hotmail.com
name servers cached, it had to send the ANY query to
the com name servers, which returned the names and
addresses of the hotmail.com name servers.  That was
enough to satisfy your ANY query, so it returned.

In other words, this isn't evidence of a problem; it's the
expected behavior.  If your mailer is having problems
sending mail to hotmail.com, it's not because of this.

cricket