Tracking all RRsets for a given host

David Carmean dlc-bu at halibut.com
Fri Jun 15 00:07:26 UTC 2001

I am developing an internal tool to apply my group's "business rules"
to DNS zone management, via DDNS to BIND-9.  What I'm trying to
figure out currently is whether I can use standard Resource Records
to tie together all information for a given host, so that for example,
if we get rid of a host all traces are removed from DNS.

For example, say I've got a multi-homed host with interfaces on
three different networks.  What would /seem/ to be the thing to
do, disregarding broken clients, is to pick a "canonical" hostname
and list multiple A RRs with that domain name.  Then each IP
address gets two (or more) PTR records, one with the hostname of
that individual interface, and another with the "canonical" hostname.

e.g:

    $ORIGIN example.com.

    somehost-le0	IN	A	192.168.1.1
    somehost-qfe0	IN	A	192.168.2.2
    somehost-qfe1	IN	A	192.168.3.3
    somehost		IN	A	192.168.1.1
			IN	A	192.168.2.2
			IN	A	192.168.3.3

    $ORGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

    1			IN	PTR	somehost-le0.example.com.
			IN	PTR	somehost.example.com.

    $ORGIN 2.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

    2			IN	PTR	somehost-qfe0.example.com.
			IN	PTR	somehost.example.com.

However...even if I manage to create good sortlist option statements for
all 240 of my networks, or just turn off round-robin, DejaGoogle searches
seem to indicate that the existence of multiple PTR records will be a
nightmare.  And I guess multiple CNAME records are out of the
question....

So can anyone think of a way to do this without doing something ugly like
parsing formatted TXT records?

Thanks....

(I suppose the real answer is to use another database as the "canonical"
database, which contains this kind of glue, and populate DNS from it, but
I don't have time to do something like that.)

--

---
Listar v1.0.0 - job execution complete.

----- End forwarded message -----