Unexplainable Problem with Upgrade 8.2.3-REL to 9.1.2

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jun 14 19:58:28 UTC 2001

Are you a slave for aps.anl.gov? BIND 8 used to "mix glue" between parent
and child zones, on zone transfers. My guess is that the delegations from
aps.anl.gov to ser.aps.anl.gov are wrong, but you never noticed it before
because there was enough glue from the child zone for your nameserver(s)
to use. BIND 9, on the other hand, enforces strict zone-cut separation,
so immediately after the upgrade you were seeing the "raw", incorrect
delegation information in the zone transfer. Now you've covered up that
problem by making yourself authoritative for the child zone. But the
delegations should be fixed.

BTW, if this is the externally-visible ser.aps.anl.gov you're talking
about, it definitely has delegation problems. nsx.lbl.gov is answering
non-authoritatively for ser.aps.anl.gov and ns2.es.net returns NXDOMAIN!

- Kevin