DNS Related question help needed soon.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 11 21:45:25 UTC 2001

You've got the sequence down basically correct. I wouldn't worry about
authenticating your NIC changes -- AFAIK, none of the registrars
authenticate by source address anyway, so as long as your
email-verification/password/key/whathaveyou works, then the changes
should go through.

You can reduce the TTLs on your address records in order to make them
more volatile and therefore make the server available sooner after the
move. How low should they be? Depends on how quickly you want your server
available after the move, on the one hand, and, on the other, how
tolerant your new ISP is of increased DNS traffic in the interim. It's a
tradeoff.

I wouldn't necessarily bother with reducing the TTLs on your NS records
-- other nameservers will "refresh" their cached NS RRsets with records
from your nameservers' responses (assuming that your nameservers and
theirs are running reasonable nameserver implementations), regardless of
what the TTLs are set to, and in any case, you can't change the
TTL values on the delegation records, so it'll be 2 days (the standard
TTL value of gTLD delegation records) after the TLD servers are updated
before you can guarantee that everyone will be using the new servers
exclusively anyway...

- Kevin