Primary and secondary NS on dynamic IP adsl?

Wouter Van Crombruggen woutervc at skynet.be
Sun Jun 10 16:05:29 UTC 2001

I am sorry to say, but it won't work (at least not if your namserver is
within the same domain as the one it serves). Why not? Well let's say you
have the domain foo.com and you want to run your own nameservers ns1.foo.com
and ns2.foo.com. The IP addresses of this name servers will have to be known
to the world's root servers, this is known as "glue records". Why? Suppose
they only knew to look for information about www.foo.com on ns1.foo.com, how
would they ever find the IP of ns1.foo.com, if they needed exactly that
server to look on? Now the root servers are updated once or twice a day, and
TTL value of glue records is set to two days. As you said you have dynamic
IP addresses, this would mean you have to change your glue records every x
days (depending on how dynamic your IP is) and wait for two days for the
changes to propagate. This will seriously endanger the uptime of your
domain. However, you could use a dynamic DNS service, such as dyndns.org,
and use foo.dyndns.org and foo2.dyndns.org as nameservers for foo.com. As
they are on a different domain, they will be found in the DNS system and
should work fine (if the dynamic dns system is reliable).

news:9fr20o$nuk at pub3.rc.vix.com...